How to Get Free Windows 10 Update?
Microsoft is ending support for all PCs running on Windows 7 on January 14th. Windows 7 PCs will no longer receive any security updates and eventually, technical support will be ended too. What that means is Windows 7 devices won’t be as secure as they used to be.
According to the Microsoft support page, users running Windows 7 devices should either switch to a newer PC with Windows 10 or can also purchase an additional copy of Windows 10 OS and install on their devices. So, if you are still running Windows 7 on your laptop and looking to upgrade to Windows 10, here’s how you can do it for free:
What do you need?
- Licensed or Genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Internet connectivity
- Approximately 50GB of free storage space
Steps to upgrade to Windows 10 for free:
- Head to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 on your device.
- Click on the ‘Download tool now’ to download the Media Creation tool.
- Run the software and click on ‘Next’ Button
- Follow on-screen instructions
- Choose the option ‘Upgrade this PC’ under ‘What do you want to do?’
- Wait for the download and installation process to complete. Once done, the PC will automatically restart.
- Configure your PC
- Head to Settings > Update & Security > Activation to activate Windows 10.
Note: The activation process only works if the PC earlier had a genuine copy of Windows 7 operating system. In case, the copy was not genuine, the Activation process will fail and you will have to buy a fresh copy of Windows 10.