How to Use Keyboard Shortcuts on Gmail?
Gmail is among the most widely used email client available in the market. Among all other features, Gmail also allows users to use predefined keyboard shortcuts to make the navigation more comfortable and faster. However, to use these shortcuts, you need to enable them first. Here is how you can enable keyboard shortcuts on Gmail:
What are the pre-requisites?
- Working Google account
- Active internet connectivity
- Windows or Mac device
Windows and Mac keyboard shortcuts work differently, and you will have to use Cmd key on Mac devices instead on Ctrl key on Windows
Steps to activate keyboard shortcuts on Gmail
Step 1: Open Gmail on your device.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon and go to settings.
Step 3: Scroll down to the Keyboard shortcuts section.
Step 4: Turn on keyboard shortcuts.
Step 5: Click on save changes at the bottom of the page.
Here are some common keyboard shortcuts you can use:
- Go to previous message in an open conversation: Press P
- Go to next message in an open conversation: Press N
- Focus main window: Shift + Esc
- Advance to the next chat or compose: Ctrl + .
- Advance to previous chat or compose: Ctrl + ,
- Send the composed email: Cmd/Ctrl + Enter
- Add cc recipients: Cms/Ctrl + Shift + C
- Add bcc recipients: Cms/Ctrl + Shift + B
- Insert a link: Cms/Ctrl + K
- Open spelling suggestions: Cmd/Ctrl + M
- Go to next page: G + N
- Go to previous page: G + P
How to create custom keyboard shortcuts?
Step 1: Click on Advance from bottom of the Settings page.
Step 2: Enable the Change your keyboard shortcuts option.
Step 3: In the Action option, type the keyboard key to create new shortcuts.
Step 4: Click on Save Changes.