Biggest Announcements from Apple WWDC 2021 Event
Apple has just wrapped up its WWDC 2021 keynote, and it was jam-packed with announcements and news. This news included our first looks at iOS 15, the new macOS Monterey, big improvements to FaceTime, and more. Here are the biggest announcements from the WWDC 2021 event:
- iOS 15: Apple announced iOS 15 at the event which brings improvements to FaceTime such as spatial audio, a new “SharePlay” feature that lets you share media with people on FaceTime virtually, updates to Messages, a new look for notifications, the ability to set different “Focus” statuses, updates to Memories in Photos, a redesign to the weather app, and much more.
- AI to Read Text in Photos: Apple’s new Live Text will digitize text in your photos, which can let you copy and paste text from a photo, for example, or call a phone number that’s in a photo. Apple says it uses “on-device intelligence” for the feature.
- Video and Music Sharing into FaceTime: Apple’s new SharePlay feature will let you watch or listen to content with others virtually. Apple is also introducing a SharePlay API so that other developers can build apps that support the feature.
- iPhone as ID at the Airport: Apple’s Wallet will soon let you store your ID in a digital form in participating US states, which you’ll then use as identification in US airports.
- Privacy Features to Mail, Safari: Apple announced new privacy-focused features at WWDC, including that Apple Mail will block tracking pixels with Mail Privacy Protection and that Safari will hide IPs. Apple is also introducing a new section in settings called the “App Privacy Report.”
- iPadOS 15: With iPadOS 15, Apple will let you add widgets to the home screen and access the app library, which debuted last year on iPhone with iOS 14. Apple is also introducing improvements to multitasking, with new controls that make it easier to manage your apps, and you’ll be able to build apps with Swift Playgrounds.
- Users can See Family Members’ Health Data: Apple is introducing a number of new health-focused features, such as the ability to share health data with your families and with healthcare providers.
- Siri will Work without an Internet Connection: Apple will let Siri process voice requests on a device, meaning audio won’t be sent over the web, and Siri can accept many requests while offline.
- iCloud Plus Updates: Apple’s iCloud is getting a new private relay service and the ability to create burner emails called “Hide My Email.” These will be part of a new iCloud Plus subscription, which will be offered at no additional price to current iCloud-paid users.
- WatchOS 8: Apple’s upcoming watchOS 8 has new health features, including a new Mindfulness app, improvements to the Photos watch face, and more.
- Siri is coming to third-party accessories: Apple will let third-party accessory makers add Siri to their devices. The company showed it on an Ecobee thermostat in its presentation.